I’m very happy to report that the Common Application essay prompts for the coming year have not changed from the two previous years. My experience is that students respond well to the prompts and always find at least one that will enable them to “tell their story.” The Common App colleges and universities must have the same experience!
It’s too early to begin writing your essays, most of which are not due until November 1st, but here are the prompts. Choose ONE. Word count: 650 maximum. As daunting as the essay may feel now, once you sit down to write it, many students wish they had more words.
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Please shoot me an email or call if you want to find out how I might help you or a college-bound student. Liz@DontSweatTheEssay.com 1-885-99-ESSAY.